Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2026

Be like cats.

Still contemplating woolgathering, so when I noticed this patch of sunlight on my dining room floor, I thought of cats and how they will always find the sun and sleep. 

Cats don't need to be convinced but science says that 10+ minutes of sunlight exposure (especially outside, in the morning) has significant impacts on human mental health and well-being. Dear friends, why not sit in the sun or (better yet), lie down on the floor while woolgathering? We should be more like cats. Right? 

One more thing, a question; I'm stumped. But first, some context: I thought there must be a name for this cat-attracting "chunk" of a sunbeam. You know, a word that sort of means the opposite of a shadow. Or a technical word, something like "sneckdown" for example. The Internet must know, right? But nope.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered an uncharacteristic cyberspace void in this regard. Reluctantly, I asked AI (aka paste pudding, thank you Ray Bradbury): "There is no single, official one-word English noun exclusively for the bright shape cast on a floor by sunlight through a window, so people rely on descriptive phrases."

Well well well, you know I love to invent words so let's all remove our leashes and let our minds wander, shall we? Ha, here we go a-woolgathering....

What do you call the patch of sunlight on the floor? Or how would you describe it? Or...do you think any of my spitballs stick? 
  • sun spot
  • sun site
  • sun puddle
  • sun blanket
  • sun throw
  • sun haven
  • sun oasis
  • sun setting
  • sun nook (s'nook) 🙌
  • splace (sunny + place) 🤦

38 comments:

  1. I think sun puddle is the winner. OTOH puddle may convey wet discomfort. Actually we have just called it a sun patch or just a patch with sunshine understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it might convey wet...but otoh that might encourage kids to jump in it, so I think sun puddle is a good choice too.

      Delete
  2. Before reading your post I was SURE there was a word for the sun a cat laid in, because I have read so many books that talk about a kitty relaxing there. I guess I was wrong :-)

    I personally would go with sun spot, but sun piddle would be a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sun piddle? Cute...it sounds like a children's book.

      Delete
  3. ...you really have enough time to ponder all of this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sun puddle is the clear winner for me—it describes both the light on the rug and the exact state of matter a cat turns into after lying in it for five minutes!

    If I had to throw my own spitball into the ring: Beamprint (the bright footprint left behind by a ray of light). Woolgather on, DB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just call it sunlight, plain and simple, my 4 cats love lying in it asleep, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question. I've never really called it anything other than a patch of sunlight. I like sun puddle though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Ha, thanks for approaching this democratically...more of that in the world, please.

      Delete
  8. Sun Puddle is the wone I've heard the most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I think we all could learn a great deal from cats.

    Secondly, I like that there's no word for that. It forces us to be creatively descriptive and makes for some lovely writing. But there's a lot of creativity in making up evocative words as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can add another vote for sun puddle!

    We should be like cats up to a point. Curling up in the sun? Sure. Licking our own butts? Hard pass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wasn't there a cat comic that called it their "sunbeam"? Am I just making this up... of to google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems possible to me...hmm... makes me think of Garfield. Maybe that's where I saw it?

      Delete
  12. I am a fan of spending time in the sun.
    It will be 100 (38 C) here today, so some proper care and timing is important.
    Sipping coffee in the morning sun is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I love it too, although technically it's already taken, but so what, eh?

      Delete
  14. As for the name -- sun dogs are the colorful cloud prisms that follow the sun. Why not call these bright, warm patches that are followed by our feline friends sun cats?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Your alliteration adds that extra special touch. Well done.

      Delete
  16. I like the sun, except when it's hot. I don't like it one bit in a heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heatwaves feel like compression blankets but for torture, not comfort.

      Delete
  17. La’a kea in Hawaiian, I think. Sacred light or just sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is beautiful, Kay. Thank you for sharing this.

      Delete