In fact, where are all the Indigenous-themed emojis? Why is Indigenous culture so underrepresented? My phone allows me to choose a feather or a turtle. All good, but I'm speaking to an overt, observable, and official signifier. Like the Inuksuk or the Metis flag for example? And most definitely an orange shirt?
I recognize that using an emoji is not exactly the utmost form of allyship. For some it would seem performative. No, regarding Canada's dark history of residential schools and that legacy, an emoji isn't reparation. But apparently 92% of the world's texters use them: emojis are part of everyday life, ubiquitous to communication. This is a simple way to demonstrate unity.
Full disclosure: I'm not Indigenous. So maybe Indigenous folks are already working on this? But how are emoji's made? And who approves them? Research led me to the Unicode Organization. If you're curious, this video (5 mins) provides some answers, but I still wonder: are they makers or gatekeepers?
Orange Shirt Day askes us to acknowledge, learn, and continue to take action. Let's make that easier.

No comments:
Post a Comment