![]() |
| source |
Hmm. And then I wondered, why am I blogging again?
It invites me to create, to practice this craft. It's exercise for my mind. It's a journal: part timeline, part lifeline. I also have more time. But moreover, I appreciate this community: I love that in 2026 there are still people in the world marveling at everyday life, people who are (mostly) flinging benevolence into the web instead of what we all know social media is flinging dumping for clicks and likes and follows and coin and all things (mostly) nefarious. In this lunchroom called life, I want to sit with the bloggers.
But is there another reason?
I started in 2010, so I remember the blogging heydays. This source provides an interesting blogging history referring to its "golden age" as 2005-2012, greatly disrupted from 2010-2016 when (bingo) social media platforms flooded cyberspace. It seems to me we've all been immersed in (and afflicted by) that haze for years. But what about now?
Well, dear friends, AI says (irony forthcoming) folks are blogging again because we're "tired of generic, AI-generated text and short-form social media noise, creating a demand for authentic human perspective." In this instance, AI, you are indeed correct, but I still don't want to sit at your table. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love this: part timeline, part lifeline.
ReplyDeleteQuite a number of bloggers stopped writing and settled on FB. It takes less time in a busy life, but it's not the same.
I can't imagine blogging on FB. I forget about it because I never joined and based on what others tell me it's become... it's not the table I want to sit at.
DeleteI simply post what I like and to my surprise some people like it.
ReplyDeleteSame. Insert fist bump here.
DeleteI agree with John. There are many reasons why I continue to blog; it's cheap therapy and I enjoy writing. I also often go back into my archives to revisit other ages and stages of my life.
ReplyDeleteMe too. Insert fist bump here.
DeleteI'm not sure why I still blog anymore. Part journal, part learning, part writing to get shit out of my head. I censor myself now much more heavily and I find that difficult.
ReplyDeleteYes, it also helps me sort out my thoughts. A little self-censoring online is likely a good choice, but your writing voice strikes me as authentic, so please continue.
DeleteI enjoy your posts and your comments on my blog. I get the feeling that we would get along well in person.
ReplyDeleteThank you, John. Yes, I think we're at the same table in this lunchroom.
DeleteIt's interesting to me how the 'in' activities ebb and flow over the decades. I started blogging in 2008, but even then the young people were moving on to other things.
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting too.
DeleteI've had my blog for 21 years and have made a lot of good friends. I enjoy seeing what others are posting. I will be around for a while yet.
ReplyDeleteI’m inching up on 21 years blogging…there were some dry years there, where I only had 2 or 3 regular readers, and theirs were probably the only blogs I read, and I sometimes would miss entire months when I didn’t read a blog or write a post. There were years where I posted every day. What revitalized me is exactly what you’re talking about, community. I have participated in NaBloPoMo many times over the years (I won an iPad from BlogHer!) and in 2022 I decided I was going to post every day. I discovered San was hosting, either through Engie or Birchie (I think it was Engie), so I signed up and met that group. I am so much happier with my blog now, I loved this community.
ReplyDelete