![]() |
| Caption: "You'll be kept awake during the operation." As a Scot I prefer to see this as a compliment, lol. |
Meet Edward Steed, a singular cartoonist who is somehow simultaneously disturbing and hilarious. Plus his story offers a blueprint for how to live a fuller life.
And with all due respect to his signature drawing style (I'm a fan), even he says this about his process: "It’s quite a bit of thinking and then a small amount of drawing.” In fact, he revealed in an interview that he didn't begin drawing seriously until he saw an ad seeking a cartoonist for The New Yorker! Since landing that job, he also says he's starting to enjoy drawing more. π Dude's got gumption.
Dear friends, this should remind us it's not too late. Perception becomes reality, often without evidence, and so if you think you can't draw stickmen (or whatever), well so what? Be a kid again and draw. Why not be a bit delusional? Put your work in someone's lunch kit. Post it online. Hang it on your fridge. The drawing process enhances memory, relieves stress, and acts like meditation no matter what ends up on the page. And if it's not drawing, do that something else that would fill your cup.

...I'm one of those that can't even draw stickmen!
ReplyDeleteHa, yes you can, sir.
DeleteOMG, that cartoon made me laugh!
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree -- if you want to try doing something in the arts, go for it! It's the process that's important and valuable, not the end result.
Having said this, I'm off now for my ballet lessons, LOL. Never too late to be a prima ballerina!
You are the perfect example of what I'm saying. Well done, Debra.
DeleteI loved the interview and maybe I could draw something. It's a matter of getting over my fear of failing, of not being good enough.
ReplyDeleteYesterday I wrote a story for my grandson about a cat called Hambone. I may write another.
I discovered this cartoonist at a branch of the Edmonton Public Library and then I found the interview. Very inspiring for me too--just the encouragement I needed. Well done, Pixie; I bet he'll love it, and what an important keepsake for him.
DeleteEven tho my drawings bring laughter for a different reason - I agree we should all dabble in any and all new interests!
ReplyDeleteIt's clear to me your garden is your art.
DeleteWhat an inspiring message, and I love the idea that it's never too late to just start drawing like a kid again!
ReplyDeleteHis story inspires me too. Thanks for visiting.
DeleteI can do many things, and know I can learn more, but today drawing isn't one I am interested in pursuing :-)
ReplyDeleteDrawing isn't the thing for everyone...it seems to me your contributions to community fill your cup.
DeleteI am thinking of taking a drawing class at the "Life Long Learning Institute" near my house. It is basically a place where people can take classes for a small fee on a variety of subjects. I am not a good artist at all. When my sister's girls were little, the three of them asked me to draw a horse. I deferred to them, and told them that I would watch them draw. But they kept insisting that I draw a pony, so I did. My nieces were ages 4, 6, and 8. So the four of us all began to draw a horse. After a couple of minutes, the oldest niece exclaimed, "Sophie's horse is better than yours!" (she was the 4 year old). We all laugh about it now, but that's proof that my drawing abilities are "quite rustic."
ReplyDeleteHa, quite rustic. Fun story. But yes to taking a class. I usually take them online but I certainly would love to take one in person if I could.
DeleteI learned how to code web pages after I retired, but I have since forgotten, and they have become rather complicated. I even went back to my high school for a week to teach a class.
ReplyDeleteWell done, sir. Impressive, but not surprising to me.
DeleteHey, another comment -- I see from your sidebar book list that you recently read Margaret Atwood's "The Penelopiad." Did you like it? I thought it was a great retelling of the old myth. I also saw two productions of the stage play based on it -- one in Calgary and one in Edmonton. Both were good and featured all-women casts, including Odysseus.
ReplyDeleteYes, with all the recent buzz about The Odyssey, I remember reading it in Grade 9 (obviously abridged) and loving it but I thought Atwood's shrewd eye on story and storytelling would help me refresh my memory and get a new perspective on the story (before I watch the film). Yes, Atwood is so funny and her take on the myth highlights how yet again women pay the price for men's excessive pride and privilege.
Delete