Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2026

September Strawberries

We have a little patch of resilient strawberries. Although a small section didn't survive last Winter, those remaining spread. Typically they produce only a few handfuls of medium-sized berries throughout the summer, but in September? They surge. 

For this and other obvious reasons, I love our little plot of strawberries, a special variety. The rest of our garden does the heavy lifting, sustaining us with carrots and beets and turnips and (so many) tomatoes and squash, but these strawberries contribute too, especially now, sensing temperature and light changes...they know winter is approaching, inevitable.  

In Canada, winter is a promise, a hardened oath. So, we must prepare.  

Especially now, we Canadians are like these September strawberries. We rally. Unlike other strawberry gardens, yes, we are fewer with fewer resources, but don't count on us to wither away. These harsh and conniving winds? Along with the entire world, we expect them now, but remember, we are September strawberries: hardy, built (and building) to withstand—we're nasty like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

30 comments:

  1. Point taken. I hope all you strawberries hang in there. This cannot be forever, and I am not alone in wishing (and voting!) away the putrid, corrupt, and harsh wind currently causing the problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a temporary situation although he has several manipulative opportunists around him (a grifting network he helped create) and corrupt sycophants who have adopted his playbook, so fingers crossed for democracy returning to the US. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. I love your strawberry analogy. In my area strawberries are at their prime in the early summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy G. Many varieties of strawberries, aren't there?

      Delete
  3. As strawberries, we are in a bit of a jam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the video that you linked. Your prime minister seems like he is the right person for the job; standing up to a bully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate someone decided to take on this rollercoaster period in our (mutual) histories.

      Delete
  5. ...winter isn't a season for sissies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to be prepared for this particular Winter, don't we?

      Delete
  6. 3 Cheers for Strawberries! Your PM seems like the real deal, unlike our "whatever".

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's heartening to see so many of my fellow Canadians with our backs up in response to Assface and his minions. We know people who can't be arsed to stop buying American or travelling there, and their complacent attitudes disgust us. If sensible American friends -- and there are so many, thank gawd -- can't put a stop to this assholery ... oh but they have to find a way, whatever it takes, and then make sure checks and balances are put in place so this shit can't happen again down there. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom had a big strawberry patch int he front yard when I was a kid. She would get so mad that my brother and I as toddlers would sit out there and eat the strawberries before she had a chance to get any. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're nice but we're not pushovers. We're like the cobra chicken (Canadian geese), pretty from a distance but will guard their family with ferocity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fresh strawberries are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! I've tried growing them myself but the birds always seem to get there before us. They are so popular here in Summer though as people put them on desserts for Christmas day, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A southern hemisphere Christmas treat? Love that.

      Delete
  12. We have a few strawberries in the backyard and we occasionally enjoy a berry or two. Mostly the chipmunks and squirrels beat us to it though. For the first time ever I bought strawberries from Québec this year and they were delicious. I hope this is an indicator that interprovincial trade restrictions are being eliminated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting.
      I've traveled to Montreal several times...lots of delicious foods there and likely everywhere in Quebec. Yes to interprovincial trade barriers changing for the better.

      Delete
  13. "In Canada, winter is a promise, a hardened oath." And I can think of a few hard oaths about that fact, yes indeed.

    I'm home now from my latest jaunt and back to daily blogging, just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not like the fall berries, at least the ones around here, as they tend to be white centred and tasteless. Apples, though, are presently at their height and succulent glory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a little cage of strawberries that I keep thinking are long past producing...but I continue to be surprised from time to time by a fresh new berry. So much better than those predictable old tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I left a comment but it didn't save. Rather than retype the whole thing, I'll just say, STRAWBERRIES: YUM.

    ReplyDelete