Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Make it easier.

I'm wearing my orange shirt today. But...where is the orange shirt emoji? 

In fact, where are all the Indigenous-themed emojis? Why is Indigenous culture so underrepresented? My phone allows me to choose a feather or a turtle. All good, but I'm speaking to an overt, observable, and official signifier. Like the Inuksuk or the Metis flag for example? And most definitely an orange shirt?

I recognize that using an emoji is not exactly the utmost form of allyship. For some it would seem performative. No, regarding Canada's dark history of residential schools and that legacy, an emoji isn't reparation. But apparently 92% of the world's texters use them: emojis are part of everyday life, ubiquitous to communication. This is a simple way to demonstrate unity. 

Full disclosure: I'm not Indigenous. So maybe Indigenous folks are already working on this? But how are emoji's made? And who approves them? Research led me to the Unicode Organization. If you're curious, this video (5 mins) provides some answers, but I still wonder: are they makers or gatekeepers? 

Orange Shirt Day asks us to acknowledge, learn, and continue to take action. Let's make that easier. 

22 comments:

  1. I agree with what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I mean...there's a cigarette emoji. It shouldn't be that hard to have more representation.

      Delete
  2. At least your country acknowledges the crimes of the past and doesn't cover them up or deny them like mine. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Margaret stated in her comment. When I taught US History, I would make sure I would highlight all of the injustices that Native Americans faced at the hand of Europeans, and later Americans. I had a double photo of a man who was a Native American, and then another one next to it that was a man in a suit with a short haircut. I would have the students look at the photos and ask them what they saw. Invariably, there was always one student who said, "The two photos are the same person." The second one was after the young man had been sent away to school to learn "white culture."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, what a great lesson. Well done. There's still so much more learning/unlearning to be done in Canada too.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the education on Orange Shirt Day. Maybe you should be the person to propose an official emoji?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Kathy G. Surely someone has already thought of this though? I'll do more research.

      Delete
  5. Emojis are kind universal and nobody cares about us. 😔

    Somebody can make one. I tried to have FB make one, but I failed.

    I am, however, wearing an orange shirt and hope to shoot orange lights at the bridge tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for trying, though, AC. I guess we all have to keep trying.

      Delete
  6. It's horrible what happened and the fact that it went on for so long is just as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll have to report back to us next year with an update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating. There's already a t-shirt emoji but only pink (that's good) and blue.

      Delete
  8. You could make your own orange shirt avatar instead of an emoji to show your support. They're easy to create and then you can change your photo on the appropriate day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I wish it were easier for everyone though.

      Delete
  9. Canada is prepared to face its dark history of residential schools, but aren't!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a new clip interview recently which featured an Indigenous journalist and she said, "we're still in the truth phase of the truth & reconciliation process." This will take generations, sigh.

      Delete
  10. As a Denver Broncos fan, I will always be Team Orange Shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, more proof we need an orange shirt emoji.

      Delete
  11. It can be achieved by the next day of remembrance: the orange T-shirt emoji.
    A dark past—may we finally learn.

    ReplyDelete