| The OG Scottish oatcakes. Yum. |
I've been teaching myself to bake for years now. It's artsy and inventive, and sharing my creations with my friends/kids/grand-turkeys is joyful. It's also nostalgic; many of my recipes are connected to my past, including the Scottish oatcakes of my youth.
A family member had already provided my childhood recipe:
🥣Melt 1 cup of butter.
🥣Stir in 1.5 cups of brown sugar (vanilla & salt to taste).
🥣Stir in 4 cups of rolled oats (I added 1/4 c chopped almonds).
🥣Add mixture to greased muffin tins and bake at 350℉ for 18 minutes.
A totally "healthy food staple" right? Nope...but easy-peasy and delicious? Oat-ally!
Sure, the cookbook offered some tweaks, but then I (over)thought... I should revamp this recipe... I should make them healthier... I could use a sugar substitute... Applesauce...? Crushed bananas...? I could add protein... Hmm, my version isn't good...YET... I should add jam to my recipe... they're still garbage.... Notice what happened?
There's nothing inherently wrong with reinvention; it's a key component in creativity. But it can slip into something I've struggled with that I'd call "self-surveillance."
If you grow up in a neglectful or highly critical environment (both), that tricky inner narrator likes to monitor, judge, and urge you to adjust and adjust expecting improvements. Sure, it's a growth mindset but one that has run amok. It also elevates product over process, and when the product (for me) is food, shame will inevitably show up to gatecrash this party. But then I recall that there are those truly healthy alternatives. Being yumped. Living in the moment. Peace. (Insert cleansing breath here.)
Dear friends, how do you ignore/quiet/bludgeon your inner Statler & Waldorf?
No comments:
Post a Comment