C.S. Lewis...W.B. Yeats... James Joyce... Oscar Wilde... Bram Stoker... Claire Keegan... Sinead O'Connor... Bono... Dolores O'Riordan... the Irish Rovers... Hozier...
Although Ireland has a relatively small population (about 5.3 million), the country, per capita, apparently produces the second-highest number of poets, writers, and songwriter-musicians (Iceland is number one).
Why is this?
Clearly, Ireland has established systems for the arts to thrive, but it also speaks to the way the Irish value and elevate storytelling.
So when I saw this whiskey in Ireland, I chuckled, not entirely surprised by the cheeky name. Who hasn't drowned their tears in alcohol once or twice? But I also thought, oh yes, I know the struggle that is writing and communicating as I write and rewrite a lifetime of words like assembling Lego. Does this connect? What's missing? Is this forming something perceptible? Yet despite the struggle, writers gotta write, hoping to bring something into being—an idea, a release, a light in the dark? For creatives, tears (sad and happy) are inevitable.
Today those tears continue to fall for another Irish singer-songwriter, Glen Hansard. In one of the many tributes occurring in Ireland and elsewhere, someone expressed his admiration for the artist this way: "he operated at the speed of love." Is there a better legacy (or sentence) than that? Tears indeed.
I think of the Irish as great storytellers.
ReplyDeleteMe too.
Delete...does the Irish struggle produce creative people?
ReplyDeleteGreat question. IYAM, it's likely. I wonder if someone's done a research study?
DeleteI have been to Ireland twice. It is one of my favorite places in the world. I simply love everything about it. The people are so welcoming and kind. I loved Hansard's song, "Falling Slowly". It is beautifully written and a very moving piece.
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan too. Yes, his most famous song is truly authentic and through-provoking.
DeleteThat's a funny name for it.
ReplyDeleteI picture a group of English majors brainstorming that one, ha.
DeleteDid the Irish really save civilization? Perhaps so.
ReplyDeleteHistory says YES. Have you read the book?
DeleteI haven't seen that name of Whiskey before but then I'm not a fan of it, RIP Outspan, he's in one of my favourite movies, have a nice week.
ReplyDeleteI haven't watched the film but should, and will.
DeleteIreland truly has produced a disproportionately high number of the world's greatest writers!
ReplyDeleteImpressive, eh?
DeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to Glen Hansard.
ReplyDeleteMany I've read/watched have been quite touching.
DeleteGlen's death hit me harder than most. We got a chance to see him play a show in Portland once, and he was phenomenal. The world lost a good one last week.
ReplyDeleteThey sure did.
Delete