Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Let's be honest:

I (2), M (5), M (8 mos), L (3), M (1)
Our summer attempt to take a couch photo of all five of our grandchildren was... messy, chaotic, and like chasing your own tail, a hilarious exercise in futility* but also this: PERFECTION because I CAN'T WAIT for them to reenact it as teens someday. 

*An argument ensued regarding which sibling should get to hold M (their little sister). If you look carefully, our eldest granddaughter's body language shows how cross she was at this grave INJUSTICE perpetrated by her little brother, ha. 

Happy FIRST birthday young M! I hope your older siblings (and cousins) might always pick you for their teams, but that would be wishbull thinking, wouldn't it? Never fear though: you will always belong to Team Pops. 

26 comments:

  1. It will be a wonderful photo to reenact and it's wonderful that the cousins are close in age. My cousins range from age 80-53, and span two continents. Not a lot of closeness sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad, and I think relatable for most people in terms of age or distance or both.

      Delete
  2. How can it be a year already?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, and they all love the piggy song but I find the words kind of cliche so I made up my own, "this little piggy, this little piggy, something, something, something, bork, bork, bork." Ha.

      Delete
  4. Herding cats. Apparently you're pretty good at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another apt metaphor, and yes, sometimes, but other times...yikes.

      Delete
  5. Stubblejumpers CafeAugust 20, 2026 at 8:27 PM

    Does one of them look like you? Remind someone of you? -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fascinated by this question and how people determine "likeness." It depends.... You know how other can see things you yourself can't? Those others see resemblances but it really depends on who's determining likeness and their own familiarity with one side of the family or the other (or both), etc. My daughter probably resembles my side of the family more, so in her kids, I've heard there are resemblances. But as for me...I see a strong resemblance in my son's son (the youngest grandchild) not just with me, but with my brother. As for reminding me of someone...they remind me of my kids in various ways, also my wife, but noting the differences is a fun exercise too. I see myself in one of them much more than the others...my oldest grandson. We don't really look the same, but he reminds me of how I typically interacted with the world as a child, so I feel I understand him sometimes in ways others may not? Despite all of this though, I know they need room to be who they are without inadvertently reducing their developing selves in ways some families tend to do.

      Delete
  6. ...they look to be at the wiggley stage of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this photo. There's something about children's feet that is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I aim to protect their privacy but I also think this edited photo represents kids (and their personalities) surprisingly well.

      Delete
  8. I love reenacting old photos. You'll have to post a follow-up on your blog in 10 years or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a dream-come-true. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  9. I always say, trying to get a good photo of all the grand kids together is like herding cats........it's never going to happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's literally impossible (but still worth it for the laughs).

      Delete
  10. This is the sweetest thing. You, and they, are truly blessed. The actual picture may be chaotic, messy, but the memory of taking it is gold.

    ReplyDelete