So who is this big, pensive man?
I have no idea, but if you're wondering, watch this short video about artist Sean Henry and his "Seated Figure."
As an older white guy with a beard who favours darks colours who also happens to carry a satchel (ha yes, I admit that it's basically a murse), I felt a little too seen next to this dude. But as an art-guy who LOVES how this figure invites curiosity and toys with scale and perspective, I mostly felt giddy.
This installation reminded me of the artwork of another sculptor: Saskatchewan-Canadian legend Joe Fafard. Renown for sculpting a multitude of multi-sized cows (there's a herd of them in Toronto) he also sculpted his friends and neighbours (farmers, waitresses, artists and teachers).
Why do artists enjoy playing with scale? Why not?
In particular, Fafard tells about a dream he once had where he had to confront a fearful figure but instead of escaping he stared the man down and the imposing figure shrunk smaller and smaller and smaller. It seems to me that in a way, artists can subdue, even master ideas by altering their size.
Plus, similar to Sean Henry's art, I think Fafard invites us to reexamine the extraordinary ordinary and recognize that we average folks (and many other everyday things) might just be works of art too.
That's a fantastic sculpture. When I lived in Portland, Oregon, we had the a sculpture known locally as the Umbrella Man.
ReplyDeleteHere's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allow_Me
Thank you! I appreciate the way it communicates fellowship. And donated anonymously? There's a story there, isn't there?
DeleteGlad you've been sharing the sights of Ireland. Statue = compelling.-Kate
ReplyDeleteI could document more, but I think people have nearly had enough of this series, ha.
DeleteAs someone who literally just ordered a waist bag (aka fanny pack) from Amazon this morning, your satchel proclivities won't get any judgment from me.
ReplyDeleteSatchel fanny pack murse men united.
DeleteTara saw it and immediately called it a satchel. All I know is, now I can walk around without holding onto my phone or having my keys weigh down my pockets. Score!
DeleteGreat video, enjoyed it. And yes, you're absolutely right -- VERY Joe Fafard-ish. I have always loved Fafard's work, particularly his statues of people, although his animals are great too.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely a fan too.
DeleteThanks for the link to the video. I've come to realize that I enjoy knowing about the artist as much as I enjoy the art. I love that big man, loved all of his sculptures actually.
ReplyDeleteArtists always make me pay extra attention.
Delete...our 24 year old grandson who is an Army combat medic and weightlifter has a man purse. Don't mess with him!
DeleteNoted. Ha, I wouldn't mess with anyone with a man purse, and now especially your grandson.
DeleteYou notice and muse upon things that most would pass by. BTW did you meet any real Galway girls?
ReplyDeleteI took a stroll down the old long walk on a day-i-ay-i-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk on a grand soft day-i-ay-i-ay
Well I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
Because her hair was black and her eyes were blue
And I knew right then - I'd be takin' a whirl
'Round the Salthill Prom with a Galway girl
Oh you noticed that, eh? ;)
DeleteGalway girls? Definitely. Speaking of songs, most of the Galway girls I met were busking. Are you familiar with this Galway girl? https://www.flickr.com/photos/lopamudrabarman/54830929908
I was in Galway back in 2017, and I have the same photo, sans the statue. I watched the video and his work is stunning. Your posts on Ireland have given me the itch to go back there. One of my favorite places on earth.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I hope you return someday.
Delete