Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Zoetic (Favourite Places)

Erosion
by E.J. Pratt
It took the sea a thousand years,
A thousand years to trace
The granite features of this cliff,
In crag and scarp and base.
It took the sea an hour one night,
An hour of storm to place
The sculpture of these granite seams

Upon a woman's face.
Upon a woman's face.
Peggy's Cove. Like another planet, without the sci-fi-ness.
Like time traveling. 19th Century anyone?
Peaceful. Singular. Hard to put it into words. Except this: zoetic.

11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great poem. I remember learning it in school. I was amazed the first time I ever went to Peggy's Cove and saw those incredible rocks.

Alistair said...

Lovely.

Strangely, I have spent the last hour selecting and enjoying poems for 'the Sunday Post' slot.

Not like me to get organised and get things ready in advance.

{Not sure it feels right either}

I like this. Not one I'd come across before.

Cheers!

Chelle said...

Ha! I also remember this one from.. I think.. English 10. :)

G said...

nice poem....and I love that pic, where is it?

Alittlesprite said...

An awesome place to sit and be alone :) I like it.

Antares Cryptos said...

Eroded or sculpted?

DB Stewart said...

@DSWS It is an amazing place.
@Alistair Slainte.
@Chelle Good memory.
@G Thanks. Nova Scotia.
@alittlesprite One always needs a spot like that.
@AC Eroded. As for me, I prefer sculpted.

Antares Cryptos said...

Me too. :)

Nicole Leigh Shaw said...

Gorgeous. The pic and the poetry.

Elly Lou said...

Now I have this song in my head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6RPgAFbXXQ

Cheeseboy said...

I love this poem, but I have to ask, is it talking about the wrinkles on an old woman's face?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...