Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Here we are, sigh.

I was watching an interview a few days ago and the subject turned to the camera and said, "Start being chalant." What? Honestly the interview was insignificant background noise and I was barely paying attention, but that statement? I heard that. 

Sorry if it's difficult to read this screenshot featuring late September google trends. Data reveals that over the past month, Canadian's online use of the word chalant has increased 550% and 250% over the last year. I was not aware that chalant was a word, but nonchalant certainly is, so I gather there's a curious upswing in language encouraging all of us (understandably) world-weary folks to shake off our apathy, resignation, or hopelessness and... what? Get involved? Do something? Care? 

If that sounds like a NOPE to you, who could blame you? So imagine being an Albertan right now....

On October 19, in the beautiful, enterprising, and prosperous province of Alberta (Canada), we will be voting in a referendum that (almost) no one asked for, and for those who would disagree with this assertion, I say that this "referendumb-and-dumber" (as one clever Albertan comedian describes it) could have at least waited until we had a general election. And don't even get me started on the millions spent on this political stunt. But here we are. 

Sure, when I say no one asked for this, I must clarify that our government did have a series of town halls last summer so an (invited/stacked) panel could "listen" (er kowtow) to (30% of) Albertans and use that "data" to develop new policy (advance the narrative manufactured at their party's annual general meeting beforehand). Yes, some dissenters were able to attended these town halls but when they spoke against the panel's obvious scapegoating and bias, they were labeled disruptors (and I kid you not) one high school student's mic was cut and he was told by the panel moderator he should be spanked. 

Cut from this shitstew to the one currently brewing regarding the TEN (I am not kidding) questions borne from those town halls, questions that many say are problematic (confusingly verbose) all the way to racist and illegal. Spoiler: it's all of the above. 

Nevertheless our provincial government says this will provide the mandate for subsequent immigration policy and independence from Canada. The most contentious question is this: should Alberta remain a province of Canada, or begin legal proceedings to separate and become independent from Canada? (Note: I have condensed it to 18 words; the actual question has 37, sigh). 

Polls continue to say that over 70% of Albertans do not want to become an independent country. But what about the 30%? Led by outspoken prominent (crooked) separatists/lobbyists (who meet and talk money with US officials connected to the expired cantaloupe himself), they spread mis/disinformation to radicalize and fundraise off disgruntled Albertans (some of whom have legitimate beefs about federal government policy). In a short video, this Albertan explains it all soooo well.

Anyway it's time to apologize for this post. You see (cleansing breath), everything within me wants to be nonchalant about this situation. But I cannot. If I (and my neighbours) don't get off the couch and VOTE for Canada... well you know where this is going and *looks side-eye at the world* you know this isn't just in Alberta, is it? 

Dear friends, I would love for you to now flush this entire post from your mind but please retain the ONE IMPORTANT IDEA I hope continues to trend, the word/the act that might just save us all: be chalant. 

26 comments:

  1. "referendumb-and-dumber" - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the applause emojis for that phrasing, eh?

      Delete
  2. I have been reading about the separatist movement in Alberta. Some of the rhetoric that comes out of this group reminds me of the MAGA movement in the USA. I certainly hope that the referendum results are overwhelmingly to remain part of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely connected, and yes I hope so too!

      Delete
  3. I am angry at what the UCP has done to this province. The money wasted, the dissent sown, the racism encouraged, it all makes me sick. I am vocal about it on Smith's instagram page and two people have wished me dead because they disagree with me. We all need to speak up and tell people that this is not what Alberta is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to exercising freedom of expression. Insert fist bump here.

      Delete
  4. In college I took a statistics course that I barely passed. I did come away realizing that you can make numbers say whatever you want them to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason not to be complacent as the numbers may tell a story that isn't so representative.

      Delete
  5. Words can be weird.
    Just as we use nonchalant, but never chalant, we use disgruntled, but never gruntled.
    When was the last time you used gruntled to describe yourself when you were feeling content or satisfied?

    Side note: spell check puts a red squiggly line under both chalant and gruntled as it doesn't recognize either as actual words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Language is everything, iyam. Gruntled is my new favourite word, ha.

      Delete
  6. There is another word that we usually say in the negative but can be said in the positive. But I positively can't remember it right now. I feel quite nonchalant about my lack of memory, however.

    Hopefully many right-thinking Albertans will turn out to quash the malcontents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me of when I posted about "ruth" vs "ruthless." Yes AC, I hope so too.

      Delete
  7. This is precisely how Maple MAGAs play wedge politics in Canada. And oh yes, you can bet on me voting in this referendum -- YES to Alberta remaining in Canada and "N0 TO THE NINE" other bullshit questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your assessment of the questions is 100% correct. They are ambiguous, unclear, and prejudiced, and just imagine how they'd use (and manipulate) the results to justify ridiculous policies. The premier was asked the other day if one of the questions meant... She couldn't answer the question.

      Delete
  8. What an absolutely terrible and frightening idea! Hopefully you'll have a free and fair election which I'm also hoping for in the U.S. midterms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this nonsense is happening everywhere. We're all hoping the US gets back on the rails.

      Delete
  9. We all need to give a shit, and take action when we know how. It's the not knowing how that worries me. Oh, and the indifference of some people to what's going on outside their own front doors. And the lack of knowledge of how mis- and dis-information is being spread and by whom.
    I'd hit the Like button on this post 1000 times if it had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about that too. Hopefully the uptick in a more chalant stance actually continues.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for teaching me a new word today. And being so nonchalant in doing so.

    And thank you also for the use of "expired cantaloupe."

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's interesting to see data on what words are being used more and less these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm likely far too interested in these stats, but I agree!

      Delete
  12. I don't think Canadians are the only ones who need to be chalant. Americans could take a page from your book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh... so you have stuff going on in Canada too. I'm so sorry. We sure do know how you feel. I hope everybody in the US will be chalant and vote also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Chalant" needs to trend everywhere. Watching millions get torched on an unprompted, radicalizing referendum while ordinary people just want functional services and sanity is maddening. But you hit the nail on the head: the only way the extreme minority wins is when the majority shrugs.
    Rooting for you and Canada on October 19. Stay chalant!

    ReplyDelete