Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2026

1/8

Meanwhile in Saskatchewan 👊




















You know that joke about Saskatchewan, right? Easy to draw, hard to spell. 😜 

But harvest-time on the prairies? Growing and gathering food for the world? No joke. 1 in 8 Canadian jobs are connected to agriculture and the agri-food sector. Dear friends, have you thanked a farmer lately?

30 comments:

  1. I'm glad they are having good harvest weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed getting good weather now. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. It's a hard way to make a living and we all owe them a great debt of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...in John Deere country I see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sir. (I am not so partial but I know people who certainly are.)

      Delete
  4. The worst part is the most people don't realize that the majority of farmers also have a job off the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. I have not thanked a farmer recently, Here in England only 1% of people's jobs are connected with agriculture. My wife's father was a farmer all his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, farmers are few and far between these days.

      Delete
  6. I saw a clip of a grain train headed to Churchill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shipping somewhere other than to the US, no doubt. Sigh.

      Delete
  7. Hello DB, the Saskatchewan joke made me smile, and the 1-in-8 figure is a good reminder of how much we depend on farmers. Thank you for the nudge to be grateful, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. You have a great week too.

      Delete
  8. My mother's father was a farmer. She grew up in that farm and rode her horse to school, a one room school house where her mother was the teacher! I don't think people realize just how much work and stress it is to be a farmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shake the family tree and we all have farmers in there. What a life they had back then, eh? Nowadays they're using drones and other technology/science to test strategic fertilizer placement. It's still very stressful work though.

      Delete
  9. You're singing to the choir here! So many people take ranchers and farmers for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had not heard that one. I live surrounded by farmers here in eastern Ontario. Was a syrup maker myself. So, yeah, I thank farmers. But I keep a special segment of my heart for the Saskatchewan prairie, the sky and the many fields of grain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syrup-making? What a sweet job (couldn't resist). The Saskatchewan sky does indeed feel special.

      Delete
  11. I thank farmers in my heart each day, they work hard. My dad was not exactly a farmer, but he made a living from growing and selling the best strawberries in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful too. We don't have to think hard to recognize that we're all connected to farming.

      Delete
  12. Honestly, I didn't know 1 in 8 jobs were in ag there. Not for the faint of heart, that's hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know that. Always thankful to the farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When we see a farmer, we always give thanks. It's brutally hard work and most people don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those of us who've shoveled barley (or worse), it is definitely brutal at times.

      Delete
  15. If drinking milk is thanking a farmer, then yes. Yes, I have. And my bowl of cereal was especially happy for the role farmers play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, sure, milk counts, as does the cereal, as does everything else we consume.

      Delete