Pages

Friday, July 24, 2026

Small

I've shared a few graffiti based travel posts, so I thought I'd do one more, but I'd describe this one as low controversy, high importance. 

Dear friends, although I'm a bit confused by this graffiti artist's phrasing, I say yes, go hug your Nan. (Believe me, I would if I could.)

After taking the ferry from Scotland to Belfast, Ireland, our first visit was to the Duke of York Pub, (apparently) a famous party spot in the Cathedral district. This is not why we chose to wander inside but I'm glad we did. They allow you to write on the walls! 

I might be the only person to ever describe a pub this way, but it reminded me of a time-travel version of my childhood school with the wooden desks (the ones I desperately wanted to write on), albeit with a lot more Guinness than Mrs. Pochipinski's classroom ever had. 😄

Guess who always has a pen with him? Hmm...so where did I leave my mark? Well, friends of a certain age, some agist pylon wrote "old people are weird," so next to it I retaliated with a stern, "no we're not." Sorted that out, didn't I? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 comments:

  1. You told 'em.
    And if they dont believe you, they'll find out soon enough. Bwa ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know how to break it to you, but THEY were right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always carry a pen! You handled that wall graffiti like a true gentleman, DB. 😆 And I'm right there with you on the 'hug your Nan' message—confusing phrasing aside, it's solid advice. A pub that lets you scribble on the walls while sipping a proper Guinness sounds like the ideal stop on a Belfast tour!

    ReplyDelete