Pages

Friday, July 24, 2026

Small

I've shared a few graffiti based travel posts, so I thought I'd do one more, but I'd describe this one as low controversy, high importance. 

Dear friends, although I'm a bit confused by this graffiti artist's phrasing, I say yes, go hug your Nan. (Believe me, I would if I could.)

After taking the ferry from Scotland to Belfast, Ireland, our first visit was to the Duke of York Pub, (apparently) a famous party spot in the Cathedral district. This is not why we chose to wander inside but I'm glad we did. They allow you to write on the walls! 

I might be the only person to ever describe a pub this way, but it reminded me of a time-travel version of my childhood school with the wooden desks (the ones I desperately wanted to write on), albeit with a lot more Guinness than Mrs. Pochipinski's classroom ever had. 😄

Guess who always has a pen with him? Hmm...so where did I leave my small mark? Well, friends of a certain age, some agist pylon wrote "old people are weird," so next to it I retaliated with a stern, "no we're not." Sorted that out, didn't I? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, ha. AC's suggestion is an even better option.

      Delete
  2. You told 'em.
    And if they dont believe you, they'll find out soon enough. Bwa ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone's sober enough to actually contemplate it, ha.

      Delete
  3. I don’t know how to break it to you, but THEY were right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh AC, I should have used your retort! Well done.

      Delete
  4. Always carry a pen! You handled that wall graffiti like a true gentleman, DB. 😆 And I'm right there with you on the 'hug your Nan' message—confusing phrasing aside, it's solid advice. A pub that lets you scribble on the walls while sipping a proper Guinness sounds like the ideal stop on a Belfast tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phrasing likely has to do with the Guinness, ha. It was indeed a memorable afternoon.

      Delete
  5. ...I seem to get more weird by the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inevitable, so may as well embrace it, right?

      Delete
  6. What fun! There used to be an Italian restaurant in Edmonton that let people write on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have a pen with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember writing on the ceiling of a bar I was in, in Mexico. I was quite drunk and didn't have a pen, only lipstick which worked just fine. That was such a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One day they will be old and weird -- if they're lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The world is weird, very weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and most days, I'm grateful for that.

      Delete
  11. Lovely letter to your grandma. Worthy of the sentimentality. I wish I could hug mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that for you too. Insert fist bump here.

      Delete