After some shopping in downtown Belfast, we were walking back to our accommodations when I noticed this statute.
I thought, is that Frederick Douglass?
I read his pivotal autobiography in 2024, but I had no idea he visited the UK and Ireland (summarized here in a short video). My favourite Douglass quote? "Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." 👏
Later that day, I read that after his book was published in the US it became widely popular and a big seller all over the world, but it triggered the demented possibility that he could be recaputured and enslaved again. So, he toured Ireland giving lectures on prejudice and liberation—something the Irish certainly know a thing or two about, don't they?
Douglass loved Ireland and felt "transformed" there, "I find myself not treated as a color, but as a man." Inspired to erect his likeness, the Irish obviously loved him too. His statue, the only one of Douglass outside of the US, is located near one of his famous speeches in Belfast (1845-46) and depicts him gesturing as he speaks to the crowd. Thankfully, his words live on and thanks to the Irish appreciation for art, one can also see his passion for human rights.
Wow, who knew?
ReplyDeleteA powerful statue. Thanks for posting this, I had no idea how far his influence went.
ReplyDeleteInteresting!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know this story.
ReplyDelete