Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Every answer?


Some friends and I were talking not long ago and the discussion led to this: what are the most important decisions one must make in his or her life?

That stumped me for a while. But being stumped is like toffee candy for me. It’s sweet and I just keep on chewing on it. Thus, after some time, I chose ten important questions:

1.      Whom do I choose to marry?
2.      What will I do with my life?
3.      Will I choose to have children? If I have children, what will I teach them?
4.      What do I value?
5.      What do I believe?
6.      What’s truly important in life?
7.      What’s worth changing in my life?
8.      What’s worth keeping the same?
9.      Who am I?
10.  What will be my legacy?

So serious eh? For a while I debated including, “how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?” Or why do squirrels steal golf-balls  (Think about that: it’s a weird mind-boggling fact.) Eventually though, I decided to focus on the more serious life-changing subject matters. Thus my list felt mostly complete, but then I had to push it further and decided to prioritize them.

Stumped again. Worse in fact. Think about that for a minute: which decision is most important?

There are so many ways to debate them. Marrying the right person has made a huge, huge difference in my life. So has having children. But the quest to answer who I am has led to terrific opportunities (although I haven’t fully answered that question yet.) But what I choose to value and what I choose to believe answered several other questions. And then I wondered something else: is every answer my legacy?

I haven’t completely decided on that but my heart keeps saying yes. Yes. And that leads to another question: what do I do for others?

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” John Bunyon

9 comments:

Vinny C said...

If I were to do my own list (which I probably may now) it may look similar to your list. You've got me thinking. Thanks.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, as Socrates or somebody said, "the unexamined life is not worth living." Keep chewing!

Antares Cryptos said...

Good questions, but the answers are fascinating.

wendy said...

Hmmmm...deep stuff. I still have no idea who I am going to be when I GROW UP.
But one thing for sure, is SERVICE to others is so so important.
It takes us "beyond ourselves" and "out of ourselves"

and here I thought this was going to be about toffee

Adam said...

I can't answer most of those questions

Pearl said...

You're a deep thinker.

I like that.

Pearl

Sultan said...

Thought provoking: very fine post.

Mrs4444 said...

Especially for younger folks, I would add "With whom should I surround myself?"

michael.offworld said...

I'm only on number three. I better get cracking. Not getting any younger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...