Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2026

How to say it?

Apparently, you can buy these
stickers, lol. I miss Betty. 
I'm still thinking about emojis* and their role in our lives, so when I teased a friend via text recently and she responded with🖕I laughed—a bit surprised by her cheeky ambush mic-drop of an emoji. I countered with a fist bump, a sign of respect for her comic timing. But what did I actually appreciate about our exchange? It provided a good laugh. Who doesn't need that?

With that in mind, a thought for today: here's to giving the finger. 

Some might (understandably) frown—this is not exactly a "gift" one should "give" recklessly, emoji or otherwise. But consider this example: when I first visited my brother in the hospital soon after he shared his terminal cancer diagnosis, this was what I noticed immediately. That laugh was a most welcome way to begin that visit and that conversation. Although that "finger" didn't cure my brother's cancer, the environment felt better, safer, less severe. 

Sometimes the finger says it so well. Better than anything else. But why is that? It's science. 

Giving the finger (or saying the words) can decrease pain. And although the science is less conclusive, witnessing someone giving the finger may provide secondary catharsis, decreasing stress as it activates mirror neurons that boost feelings of empathy, shared justice, and social connectedness. Sudden thought: imagine attending some team-building session where the finger is employed to empower all participants! Attention workshop leaders: I think I'd find the novelty of that hilarious. (I dare you.)

Dear friends, these days we often feel so powerless in a world that can feel doom-y, a world where it sometimes takes too much energy to resist the bleak. Permission (for those who might need it) to use science to boost your nervous system today. 🖕😀

*Update: AC and one of his followers explained how to use the Genmoji function (iPhones) to create your own emoji. Thanks—I immediately made an orange shirt emoji. Solved. 

20 comments:

  1. There are so many things that are beyond my control, so I try not to clutter my head with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This (sound) strategy works for me too, but sometimes... the valve needs to be opened aka give it the finger, ha.

      Delete
  2. If you are British, you might salute with two fingers.

    Gemini

    The origin of the British "two-finger salute" (the palm-inward V-sign) is divided between a widely repeated urban legend and recorded history:

    The Longbowman Legend (Myth)
    The popular story holds that during the Hundred Years' War—specifically around the Battle of Agincourt in 1415—the French threatened to cut off the index and middle fingers of captured English longbowmen so they could no longer draw a bow. Following an English victory, the archers allegedly flashed their intact drawing fingers in defiance as a taunt.

    Why it's considered a myth: Historians point out there is no contemporary medieval documentation describing this gesture. Additionally, heavy war longbows of that era typically required three fingers to draw, not two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for educating me on this, AC. I certainly was a bit North American-centric in my signifier. I bet the two finger one works quite well too. Well done, sir.

      Delete
  3. I'm a fan of the middle finger, no surprise there, and most forms of swearing. Science does say that swearing does reduce the feelings of pain that we experience and I think it helps reduce stress too, as an outlet instead of physical aggression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not surprised, ha. And yes to avoiding physical aggression, another pro to support the finger.

      Delete
  4. There have been times when I used my middle finger to speak without talking, ha. I would volunteer for a team building exercise like you mention. It would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Imagine the element of surprise, the freedom, and the hilarity. Why hasn't someone written into a screen-play. If you're reading this Martin Short/Adam Sandler... get to work....

      Delete
  5. I don't give the finger enough. Do you pull down the other two fingers around it or not? It's a skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis a skill and therefore should be practiced, ha.

      Delete
  6. My realization that there are SO many things I cannot control has led to a lessening of my middle finger salute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point about unintended consequences as to how it is received. My goofy essay ignored that aspect, ha.

      Delete
  7. My daughter and I send each other fun emojis sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness! I didn't even know there was an emoji with the finger. LOL!
    I was going to try AC's Genmoji function, but discovered it's only for iPhone 15 Pro and up. Sigh... I've got the 14. I think it's about time to upgrade. However, my son-in-law thinks it's just going to confuse me more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kay, I apologize for corrupting your mind with this information. I know you have a sense of humour, but I will always say, you do you. Insert respect emoji here. And thank you for clarifying how the age of your iPhone impacts things. I hadn't thought of that (I just upgraded to a 16).

      Delete
  9. There is no substitute for a good middle finger/fuck you, in my opinion. I LOL’d at ‘expired orange cantaloupe’. I wish he would expire more quickly. As for cancer, I’m so sorry for the loss of your brother. It has taken so many that I care deeply about…good friends, my SIL, my darling dog Mulder…I hate it. Why can’t it focus its powerful evil on evil people and leave everyone else the fuck alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, clearly I read these two posts at the same time, because the expired cantaloupe comment was in your last post, not this one. It just seemed fitting to give him the finger. Mea culpa.

      Delete
    2. All the applause emojis for these comments. Also this: fuck cancer. Insert fist bump here.

      Delete
  10. If it makes you feel better, vents some pent up anger, or just gives somebody a laugh -- why not?
    A well timed finger is a good therapy.

    ReplyDelete