| Eejit 1, 2 & 3 (me) |
Our first full day in Edinburgh was a sunny Saturday in June, so we intended to take full advantage but we had no idea how our plans would unfold that day, my favourite in this favourite city.
In the morning we threaded our way through the city to (literally) a fairytale storybook location: Dean Village. This sublime and peaceful ancient community (12th century) in a lush green valley in New Town is impossibly charming.
After exploring quietly (people live there), we continued along a tree-shrouded walking path next to the river Leith where we observed a mother duck teaching her ducklings to repeatedly swim into the waterfalls' current, then float backward and then push into the current again—vital life-lessons for us all these days.
Soon we discovered a rickety rope swing over the river. I watched while each of my other three traveling companions, er eejits, temporarily suspended their frontal lobes and yoga-contortioned themselves onto said swing, while nearby I pondered, is 911 a thing in Scotland?
Unscathed, we continued until we happened upon the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art where the first thing we saw was a large sign on the grounds declaring, THERE WILL BE NO MIRACLES HERE. Insert thinking emoji face here. Later, while navigating our way back to public transport, I thoroughly contemplated that sign. Is it irony? A quotation? Political protest? A reference to something historical? And what exactly constitutes a miracle...and who decides? Hmm.
My conclusion? Scots artists are quite masterful at "making the masses muse," or at least this mass, ha. (Read more about the artist here, if you're interested).
Soon we were on a bus to Edinburgh Castle (which we visited during our first trip to Scotland), so we grabbed lunch from street vendors in Grassmarket, aka where I first fell in love with fennel-seed sausage rolls. (They are a small but substantial miracle, ha.)
We began to notice then that the crowds were quickly increasing along the Royal Mile... and suddenly we found ourselves in the middle of Edinburgh's pride parade! Middle might be a misnomer but with 40000+ people flooding everywhere, the sidewalks mostly disappeared. It was quite moving to witness and cheer on so many people singing and drumming and joyfully celebrating the freedom to be themselves.
We continued down the street until we found a close that happens to have the same name as our oldest granddaughter, M, so we took a selfie, and then walked to the base of Arthur's Seat (elevation 251 meters/823 feet), an extinct volcano next to the city. On our first trip to Edinburgh, my spouse and I climbed the Holyrood side, an easy hike, but this time we climbed the city side, much steeper.
Certainly by western Canadian standards, Arthur's Seat is no (Alberta Rocky) mountain, but you know that feeling when you've accomplished something challenging? Maybe like 1 part relief, 1 part pride, and 8 parts invigoration. Something like that.
Did our sunny June Saturday in Scotland contain any miracles? I don't know for sure, but I do like that saying, "if life is a series of small miracles—notice them."
I've never been to Scotland. I have ancestors from a town called Airdrie in Scotland, people I know nothing about but whose DNA lives within my cells. Biology is strange.
ReplyDeleteI like the art of Nathan Coley but I don't entirely agree with it. There are miracles everyday but not the church kind, more the Mother nature kind.
I can't wait to read more of your travels:)
Thank you! Biology is indeed strange (but also kinda everything). Coley made me define "miracle" personally too, which I think is part of the point.
DeleteA great day was enjoyed by all participants. I was in Edinburgh on a bus trip in 2019, but only for 2.5 days, never enough. Did visit Edinburgh Castle though, and also Holyrood where the Queen was hosting a garden party. Didn't get an invitation though. Wot fun to catch the Pride parade.
ReplyDeleteIt was an excellent day...you're right, never enough time. During our first trip, we did a tours of Holyrood and Edinburgh castle.
DeleteThanks so much for that link to the article about the artist "Nathan Coley: profound ambiguity" -- I loved it! And rope swings ARE pretty hard to resist -- when I was a kid, there was one over the river in my town and it was amazing to swing out over the water and drop down into it! Of course, we all pretended to be Tarzan while doing so.
ReplyDeleteColey is clever, isn't he? Oh I see you would have jumped on that rope swing too, ha.
DeleteI think you could tour there many times and never do the same thing. Love the city. Love the country, probably because Scots sculpted a lot of Ontario, so I felt at home there.
ReplyDeleteI feel at home there too...likely thanks to my maternal great grandparents whose accents fascinated me as a child. Although they lived in Canada for all but their youth, I think it was still home to them.
DeleteOooh, more vicarious travel! I get to sleep in my regular bed and do my regular routine of, well, not much considering I'm not working over summer while learning about the world from the comfort of my desk chair. :)
ReplyDeleteThe art was... interesting? Modern art is not usually #1 on my list of art choices. Calling some letters on a scaffold a 'sculpture' seems to be a reach. But hey, whatever works.
Kinda fun to participate in the pride parade even if it wasn't on purpose!
I've never had to excuse my authentic self as I'm "normal". Hahahaha, normal describes NO one and nothing. Never will understand how some perceive love between consenting adults of all varieties a threat.
Ha, yes calling it a sculpture does seem like a stretch.
DeleteOh yes, normal...is there a word more counterproductive?
I feel a bit foolish about not realizing it was a pride celebration until the parade began....I noticed pride flags all over the UK but most of our trip was in June so of course there were flags...just before the parade began I did notice people in costumes, ha, but I'm not a judgy a-hole so that just made me curious and we even encountered a young man at Greyfriars Bobby handing out free coffee to tourists; his arms looked like he had dipped them in sparkles, but I still didn't figure it out, lol. Eejit tourist, eh? It was a fun day.
It sounds like a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteI once scaled a 'mountain' in Phoenix Arizona that sounds comparable to Arthur's Seat, and yes, I was very proud.
That's the feeling. Well done.
DeleteGoodlookin' crew! I'm surprised those Scots didn't try to keep ya.
ReplyDeleteHa, get your monitor checked.
Delete...having no particular idea how your plans would unfold that day is how most day go for me. I wing it.
ReplyDeleteWinging it works.
DeleteI'm so glad you've had such a great time in Scotland. We were at the Edinburgh castle and stood in line to see the crown jewels. Did you go and see the Loch Ness monster too?
ReplyDeleteI have an upcoming post regarding Loch Ness....(insert spooky music here).
DeleteI think you had a good day and a good time all in all. BTW I think our 911 is 999 over there.
ReplyDeleteGood to know.
DeleteI have been to Scotland twice, one of my favorite places on earth. I enjoyed reading about your adventures in Edinburgh. Sometimes the days where things just happen are the best. The pride parade sounds like it was a very moving event.
ReplyDeleteIt was indeed emotional and a terrific day for us and for so many others too.
DeleteIf fennel-seed sausage rolls are anything like Italian sausage links, sign me up.
ReplyDeleteIf fennel-seed sausage rolls are anything like licorice, I'll take a pass.