This tree-lined lane and the canopy it forms is captivating. The Hedges reminded me of Robert Frost's mysterious poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. Borrowing Frost's words, I definitely found these woods lovely, dark, and deep.
Planted about 250 years ago, these spellbinding trees are situated in-between flat wide-open fields on both sides, so their roots, trunks, and branches rise into the sky as though they were painted into existence by artists like Emily Carr or Piet Mondrian, whose renderings of nature invoke awe. Yet I did not expect such a rural setting.
So despite my wonder, the Saskatchewan-raised kid in me couldn't help but think of the farmers on both sides who likely reflect more on the blasted weather as they plant, fertilize, and harvest their crops month after month, likely unmoved, (perhaps stoic, detached, or even irritated) as hundreds and thousands of moved visitors excitedly walk in circles down the road next to their crops. I encountered one walker who was Face-timing her experience.
My point? Tourism is anthropology too, isn't it? One person's curiosity is another's indifference. Let's be honest, we humans are downright fascinating creatures, arguably batty, but fascinating.
I've heard of the Giant's Causeway but not the Dark Hedges -- thanks for teaching me about this fabulous spot!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome. An Irish friend told me she visited it many years ago, but then it was featured on GOT and I think it became even more famous.
DeleteI've been to Ireland, but never Northern Ireland. I had heard of the Giant's Causeway, but never the Dark Hedges. And yes, humans are quite baffling but quite fascinating!
ReplyDeleteYes, IYAM, it's a good thing to be more curious than judgmental about humans and our behaviour.
DeleteI think every person takes away something unique from any experieice.
ReplyDelete*experience.
DeleteWell said.
DeleteI have seen a photo of that tree-lined lane in Ireland but I did not know it has the name Dark Hedges. Perfect! I want to photoshop all those tourists out of your photograph. The trees want me to do it too.
ReplyDeleteHa, yes, I suspect the trees would like that.
Delete...being a tree nerd, I often find them more interesting than people!
ReplyDeleteYes to that sentiment, Tom. I have taken photos of trees all over the world. (Tree nerds unite.)
DeleteMy two photo friends visited both places. One has a friend who lives near the hedges and can get there when he pleases.
ReplyDeleteOh I'd bet their photos are impressive.
DeleteI think James Stuart was quite successful in creating an imposing approach to his house. The trees are lovely.
ReplyDeleteYes, he certainly was. One never knows how a legacy might unfold, eh?
DeleteA lovely place for tree lovers to visit and see.
ReplyDeleteA bit of a tree mecca for sure.
DeleteIt's so pretty, I would love to walk there.
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely a vibe.
DeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteSpecial for sure.
DeleteI've long been enamored with the Dark Hedges. So creepy! But so cool!
ReplyDeleteYes, compelling and a bit creepy too.
Delete