Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thomas

Today I met Thomas.
Total strangers, we shared a chair lift to the top of Whispering Pines Ski Hill this afternoon and in the mere minutes I spent with him, this 7ish year-old-boy left a strong impression.

Thomas: (ascending in the chair lift) Put the bar down. Put it down. NOW. We don't wanna fall out. (I secure the bar then he extends his mitten-covered hand.) Hello. I'm Thomas. (We shake hands.)
Me: Hello Thomas. I like your name.
Thomas: Thanks. I do too. It's my name. Some people don't say my name right. I'm Thomas with an H. Some people say my name Th-omas, like "thhh" (rolling his eyes, shaking his head).
Me: (smiling, shaking my head too) I like your name with an H. I think that's the best way. Say Thomas, do you know what your name means?
Thomas: I am named after a famous actor: Thomas Allan Eldwood (?) Did you know that he does all his own stunts? We watched a show. There was a show. On TV. We watched it and (shaking his head like a tired old man) he went flying over the trees in his motorbike, (pointing) look at these trees. Some of them are like 20 feet tall. Look. I bet those ones over there are 30 feet tall. LOOK!
Me: (looking) I see. Thomas, what grade are you in?
Thomas: I'm in Grade 2. He flew so high but you know what? He didn't make it. He fell. But he didn't even hurt himself. I'm like him. I don't get hurt. But mostly I don't get hurt 'cause I'm careful.
Me: He didn't get hurt? Wow. I'm glad you're careful Thomas. Are you going to be a stunt-man someday?
Thomas: Yes (like he just realized it), I am(Barely a pause) No, (rethinking) I'm not. Stunt men are crazy. What does my name mean?
Me: It means twin. Cool, eh?
Thomas: Twin?
Me: Do you have a twin brother or sister?
Thomas: No. But a kid in my class has a twin. But I'M NOT a twin. I think you're mistaken.
Me: (chuckling at his word-choice) Well, oh I know. Is your Dad's name Thomas too? Are you named after your Dad? Maybe you're like his twin?
Thomas: NO! MY name is Thomas, (like I'm an idiot) I'M THOMAS. That's my name. My Dad's name is Calvin. (Approaching the end of the chair lift) Put the bar up. Put it up. We have to get off now (wiping snot across his face). Now don't forget. I'M Thomas. And tips up. (pointing at my skis) TIPS UP. Be careful out there, will ya?
Me: (chuckling) Thanks for the advice. It was nice to meet you Thomas.
Thomas: You too.

Albert Schweitzer said, "In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being." Thanks Albert, for introducing me to Thomas. And peeps: be careful out there, will ya?

21 comments:

michael.offworld said...

I'm not sure if you know Thomas Wharton or not. You should forward this post to him.

Sultan said...

Stunt men are crazy . . . which of curse makes it the perfect aspirational career

Molly said...

My brother's name is Thomas, this little guy sounds a lot like him.
Lovely name, great post.

Alistair said...

One of those moments to treasure wasn't it. This post reminded me so much of meeting a little girl named Helen while out shopping a fortnight ago. Certaily our posts about these incidents ahve a similar feel.

Be careful out there.....

sounds like 'Hill St Bues'.

Alistair said...

....and why don't I proof read???

Unknown said...

You have made my day. Your posts are a delight, keep it up!

BTW, my Canadian calendar tells me it is "Alberta Family Day" today. I'm not quite sure what to do with that information but to wish you a happy family! :-)

Alittlesprite said...

Don't you love it when little kids sound like grown ups and then they make you feel like an idiot..?
LOL!
Your post made my shitty day that less shitter :)

WV: lessn

Alittlesprite said...

That pole has been placed in an unfortunate spot in that ski lift sign.
Or he is really excited about skiing

Vinny C said...

Kids, man. They just have this way of reminding us that we're not as smart as we think we are. While making us smile in the process.

Thanks for the advice.

Al Penwasser said...

What a fantastic slice of life that you'll probably carry with you for a long, long time.
By the way, I took a closer look at the ski picture on your post. I would think it would be dangerous to ski without feet, arms, clothes, or even skis. Or, apparently, a neck.

Dr. Cynicism said...

I wonder what those kids end up like in their college years...

DB Stewart said...

@Michael If you mean the Canadian writer The Logogryph is one of my all-time favourite books! What a cool idea Michael. *wonders if I could be so bold*
@LoC Ha! Remember Evel Knievel?
@Molly Your brother must be quite the guy.
@Alistair I appreciate this comment from you especially since you seem to be such a keen observer of life. Thank you Alistair.
@jono Yes, it's family day. And thank you.
@alittlesprite So true. And ha! I did not notice that.
@VinnyC Yup. Kids can be very disarming, especially a bold character like Thomas.
@AP Yes, a slice of life exactly. And yes, that is a bad photo as @alittlesprite noted as well.
@DrC You know exactly what they end up like: idiots. Well, I was anyway.

tattytiara said...

Good to hear you've got Thomas looking out for ya!

Al Penwasser said...

Plus, he's not even sitting completely down. Did he poop his pants?

Antares Cryptos said...

Memorable awesome moment.:)

Hope Thomas remembers it the same way and not:"Dad, there was this moron on the chair lift..."

@Sprite, I enjoy chair lifts that remain attached to their poles.

DB Stewart said...

@tattytiara I think Thomas would look out for anyone he meets.
@AP Ha! For a second I thought you meant Thomas.
@AC Ha! I agree. Or there was a creepy man who wouldn't stop talking to me.

Unknown said...

This kid is going to be a cautious rock star, which means he'll make a lot of money and not waist it. I hope you got his autograph.

Alittlesprite said...

@Anty Well just as long as that's all it is. A. Pole.
Now I'm slightly disturbed..
HA!
WV: NONO

DB Stewart said...

@paul I wish I had thought of that.
@alittlesprite Quit fooling around and go be creative and make something awesome.

Antares Cryptos said...

@sprite "nono" too funny.

@dbs, don't blame me, "diablogueing" was your idea. I'm just sayin'

WV: Loweall :)

Alittlesprite said...

OK!OK! Sheesh!
*flutters off* ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...