| Click for a recent news report about Nessie. ;) |
As a kid growing up on the Canadian prairies, I recall being rapt reading about the Loch Ness monster. Before (and after) I understood myth and folklore and tourism marketing, I hoped to one day visit this famous Scottish lake.
I'm so glad I did. It's just sooooo beautiful there.
Did we spot Nessie? Nope. Other than Steve, the genial amateur cryptozoologist (?) parked on the beach, I completely forgot about the legend. Click this link to watch a short video about Steve; he has an inspiring message for the inner child within us all.
We spent the morning hiking through the forest along the still loch water looking to the mountains on the horizon. Quiet and calm and cool and sun-dappled with greens, it's mossy and rocky and fresh... and let's be honest—I need a poet to help me say it better. Maybe Rilke and his love for the trees?
Speaking of love, I know from family records that Loch Ness is not far from where my maternal great-grandparents held their marriage ceremony. I now know why. And maybe I know them a little better now too? As poet Mary Oliver said about how to go into the woods: "if you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love you very much."
I think you took your time there, and I approve ... which no doubt relieves you greatly 😇
ReplyDeleteSir, you have no idea, ha. Insert fist bump here.
DeleteStephen is an interesting man isn't he? Good for him. I am a skeptic. My husband watches a show weekly on Loch Ness Monster. But what a lovely time
ReplyDeleteI'm a skeptic too, but I LOVE a good story so I relate to both of you.
DeleteYou didn't see Nessie because she's here, in the continental US. One of my kids last year was terrified to use the bathroom, he thought "The Loch Ness Monster might come out of the pipe and get me while I am trying to pee."
ReplyDeleteHe was seriously scared, and it took awhile to get him to believe that *if* Nessie exists, she's far too large to fit in a pipe. I also got out a map and showed him how far away Scotland is.
Ha. I LOVE that you have a kid story for everything, and I also LOVE that you LOVE that too.
DeleteI still hope Nessie is real. She deserves to be real after so much has been said and written bout her. What a lovely day, hiking through the forest by the loch.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for a benevolent Nessie who is just enjoying the fame and toying with everyone, ha.
DeleteI had no idea that Loch was so big.
ReplyDeleteIt's massive....up to 755 feet...that's like 70 stories high (low). Impressive.
DeleteI'm glad Steve is living his dream. I wonder what his source of income is. Dreamers still have to eat!
ReplyDeleteGood question. Now I'm wondering too.
Delete...any monster sightings?
ReplyDeleteClick the link under the photo for the most recent "sighting."
DeleteWhat a lovely poem. I've not read it before but I do love Mary Oliver's poems.
ReplyDeleteShe's a balm. Looking forward to the upcoming documentary about her life.
DeleteIt is beautiful there. Did you manage to avoid the midges?
ReplyDeleteWe did...but we did wrangle with one sheep tick. Not cool.
DeleteHusband and I went for a boat ride on the loch. I looked hopefully into the depths, but no monster appeared. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteRemember that Nessie is notoriously shy.
DeleteHow can one travel all the way to Loch Ness and forget about the famous monster? That would probably be my top reason for visiting Scotland in the first place!
ReplyDeleteYes indeed, my brain surely deserves some side-eye in this case, doesn't it?
Delete