Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Unexpected

My daughter got married last month. I've always told my children that the most important decision they'll ever make is whom they choose to marry. She chose well. But marriage is a choice too. I didn't expect this. Any of it.

I didn't expect my daughter would wear her mother's wedding dress. I didn't expect my daughter would ask me to read Mary Oliver's "Wild Geese." I didn't expect those vows, with hints of tender history and romance and humour. I didn't expect my wife's uncle to whisper this to me just before I went to the podium to speak, "Don't. Fuck. This. Up." I didn't expect to laugh so much, and cry, and laugh again. Or that they would sing that song, carefree and full-throated at times because that's what musicians do I guess. I didn't expect them to swing each other around in a circle during the first dance. As my sister-in-law remarked through joyful tears and laughter, "Who does that except L & P?" I didn't expect people from all over Canada, even the world. I didn't expect people to tell me how much our daughter means to them. I didn't even expect the father-daughter dance. I didn't expect to be the last one to leave the dance hall. I didn't expect that even though I've been a Dad for a long time, it will always be new, again.

I didn't expect to feel this content. Isn't it a wonder that we are always surprised by love? Forgive me: even though I've been parenting for 25 years, I've never done this before. And I'm grateful.

4 comments:

Pearson Report said...

So poignantly written. I felt your heart gently beating with pride and joy on the page - or screen as it were. Sounds like this was one of those moments a parent dreams of, when a child, through all the trials and tribulations of youth, has blossomed into a wonderful human being.

Congratulations on the marriage of your daughter, and to you for making it to the other side... where yet more wonders await.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a beautiful post! Congrats to the happy couple!

jenny_o said...

How wonderful! And what a lovely post to have written, to look back on along with all the other reminders of the day. The thing I discovered about parenting that I had never expected is that it doesn't end when they leave home. It just changes. I think we'll always be learning more about this role.

Congratulations to all, especially your daughter and her husband!

Vinny C said...

Know what else you probably didn't expect? The Spanish Inquisition. No one does.

All kidding aside, congratulations to you all, man. These kinds of unexpecteds are what is all about.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...