Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Out of reach?

I'm taking some courses and one of the treats are all the new words. Yup: wordnerd. But sometimes, when I learn a new word, I think, where have you been all my life?

Recent example?

Liminality: the quality of ambiguity or disorientation that occurs in the middle stage of a ritual (a process?), when we occupy a position at, or on both sides of, a threshold.

Aka life? But what a smart way to describe it. Aren't we always between things? Firsts and lasts? Novice and expert? Illness and recovery? Winter and Spring? Darkness and light? The decision and the consequences? Starting over and starting over again? The me I was and the me I am becoming? What it meant then and what it means now?

The messy stage. Between the tyrant and the deliverer. All the while seeking meaning, seeking much-needed clarity. Waiting. Or moving forward, full speed, trusting our headlights in the snowstorm.

Hold on, my friends. This too shall pass.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You think very deeply about words, which is great! In Celtic spirituality, the liminal spaces of life are considered to be sacred space.

michael.offworld said...

William Gibson just introduced me to that word. He used it several times somewhere in The Blue Ant trilogy. Probably Spook Country. It caught my attention too.

Molly said...

A well-timed read, my brother and his wife just had their first baby which has had me thinking about that great liminal space - the just before kids space. A never-to-be-returned to and only barely comprehended land.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...