Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Yearlies

What art awaits?
Inspired by Rude Cactus and his "yearlies," I included more than my favourite reads this year. Why? "Art doesn't have to matter to a lot of people to matter a lot." ~Jeb Dickerson

I always apply the same criteria to art regardless of the medium: sincerity. That difficult-to-explain but easy-to-feel genuineness always affects me. And, for me, some linger.

My favourite 2012 reads:
-Quiet by Susan Cain
-Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon
-Blood Meridian by Cormac MacCarthy
-What it Is by Lynda Barry
-You are Not So Smart by David McRaney

My favourite 2012 movie experiences (I haven't seen many yet):
-Tree of Life
-Being There
-The Grey
-Drive
-Bridesmaids
-Looper (late entry)

My favourite 2012 television experiences:
-Game of Thrones
-American Horror Story

Songs that moved me again and again this year:
-Gold in Them Hills Ron Sexsmith
-U.F.O. Coldplay
-Abide with Me Emeli Sande
-Garden Noah Gundersen
-In My Veins Andrew Belle & Erin McCarley

7 comments:

Sultan said...

Cormac MacCarthy really writes wonderful books.

CLR said...

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to checking out some of these!

Mrs. Tuna said...

Have the happiest of New Years!

Adam said...

I really didn't click with Tree of Life.

Didactic Pirate said...

Excellent lists. I read so little this year I think I forgot how to do it.

Rubye Jack said...

The only one I've read here is Quiet and her research has helped me a lot. I keep meaning to read Cormac MacCarthy and will now make it a point.
Happy New Year's!

Antares Cryptos said...

We are "virtually" related.
A lot of the same choices, didn't read or watch much, but also read What it is, MacCarthy and steal like an artist.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...