Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bathroom Acoustics

This is going to sound a little strange but I overheard a kid proudly singing a song in an otherwise empty public bathroom recently and I had to stop outside the door and listen. Enhanced by the bathroom acoustics she was singing a lyrically mixed-up version of Amazing Grace. I felt a little weird planted there eavesdropping, but I just couldn't move. 

Soon I had shuffled off all the years, all of my a-ged-ness and became the little boy I once was sitting on the toilet, legs swinging back and forth, I too singing my own song with abandonment, bolstered by the echo in the bathroom. Free. Totally free to be who I was then. When exactly does the freedom to be who we truly are so insidiously slip away from us?

When we hear pure innocence, I think it's important to pause and pay attention. And maybe, just for a moment, let that voice inside us sing along.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...