Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Weird Word-of-the-Day Wednesday

In honour of a little discussion I had with my bank today, today's weird word is "amortization." Apparently this word refers to the "process by which your loan principal decreases over the life of your loan." Like with a mortgage. Well...
I experienced some amortization fun-and-games today. Somehow, my last mortgage payment was magically paid despite no evidence of an automatic deduction from my account which is how my mortgage has been paid for the last ten years. Hmm. Could it be a mistake perhaps, especially considering that my bank just switched to a new computer system? Hmm.
Despite nothing deducted from my account, bank staff repeatedly assured me that my mortgage payment has been made. Thoughts in my head during this conversation: Um, by who then? Did Oprah give away random mortgage payments on her show today? Am I like your one millionth customer?
Here's the kicker: I can't prove I didn't make my payment. Talking to a bank about an error they made is like talking to people who work in airports (or maybe Lindsay Lohan I bet). One thing I am sure of though: when the bank discovers their mistake only one person will be responsible: me.

4 comments:

Sultan said...

This sounds perilous to me, I think sadly that it would be a good idea to go higher in the bank hierarchy to make sure this is fixed rather than assuming it will be ok.

Missy said...

Banks belong in your last post!
Love the blog!

DB Stewart said...

@Laoch of Chicago Thanks for the good advice and yes, I'm working on that.

@Missy Thank you so much.

Chelle said...

Keep an eyeball on this and enough money to cover the payment saved. This magic happened to us and before we realized it, the bailiff wanted our car that we thought we were making payments on. Car was saved, but now I'm totally paranoid about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...