Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Stumbling Sock

A sock turned inside-out is still a sock.
Even if it has a hole.
Even if the dryer ate the other one.
Even if it’s on your foot.
Even if you complain about it to anyone and everyone.

In other words, a thing is still a thing even if you don’t want it to be a thing.

This likely seems quite abstract and random but think about this, think carefully: what is it that you are not willing to face? Or what is holding you back? Or what do you finally need to do/try/adjust/admit/let go of/surrender to/stop/change to have the life you need? (Note that I said need, not necessarily want.) What?

A very wise woman once asked me to write down three scenarios:
1.      The worst-case scenario.
2.      The middle-of-the-road scenario.
3.      The best-case scenario.

What I learned from that task was that my worst fears probably don’t exist, and may never exist. Feeling stuck or helpless or whatever is just that, a feeling. It’s not a fact.

That sock might feel like a fact, an overwhelming fact but what if it isn’t? What if you CAN do something about it besides dwelling on it? Even if it takes a long time because 
1. Even though we all love quick fixes, great things take a long time.
2. We only really grow when we face and overcome tough challenges.
3. You were born with the ability to change someone's life. Even your own. 

6 comments:

Pickleope said...

Is a sock still a sock if it has a hole in it? By definition a sock is meant to cover a foot, the whole foot, not 90% of a foot. I think a sock that has a hole needs to be discarded as it no longer retains its purpose as a fully foot encasement tool.
I may have missed the metaphor.

Vinny C said...

So true. A lot of the time I do whatever it is I've been putting off & thing to myself, "Why did I let this/that keep me from getting started in the first place?" We give fear & doubt way too much power sometimes.

Point of note: A sock isn't of much use if your puppy pulls it out of the hamper & chews the toes completely off. It's more of a soggy, ankle-warmer at that point.

Vinny C said...

^...*think* to myself...^

Optimistic Existentialist said...

VERY wise advise here! This really made me think. Thank you!

ghost said...

Leggings, Vinny?

ghost said...

..."what a wonderful world"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...