Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Fave Reads 2022

Happy Hogmanay. I'll be honest: the last several years, my reading criteria has narrowed. Is it under 250 pages? Did someone I love recommend it? Life is too short to finish an underwhelming book. None of these underwhelmed me for one second. In no order (three are Canadian), I loved these books and these authors made me miss books, again. and I'm grateful for their lessons. 

It will gut you. Like
its comedian-actor-author,
this memoir is painfully
& proudly honest as well
as ferociously funny.
This is grief dialed up
and it will heal people.



In less than 250 pages,
Toews thoughtfully
presents us with a 
group of vulnerable
Mennonite women & one
 man as they dissect the
violence and ideology
that minimizes and
marginalizes them.
In other words, it's a
thoroughly modern
and on-going story.



Come for the truth &
the reconciliation; stay
for these characters' 
resilience, hope, and
humour. 














These Canadian children
and those who love them
will break your heart.
This Canadian novel
should be the 
first read in a social
work degree. 


I saw the film first. 
Cinematography at its
finest. Written in 1967(!)
For readers who love
complex and broken
characters in pain,
and for those forced to live
with their bullies or endure
imagined bullies.  

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Are you going to see the movie "Women Talking" made by Sarah Polley, I believe? It's getting rave reviews. I saw "The Power of the Dog" movie and enjoyed it; a friend read the novel but apparently it didn't shed a lot of light on why he was such a miserable bastard to everyone.

DB Stewart said...

@DSWS I will definitely see the film version. It's true: the novel only hints at why he's such a miserable bastard, lol.

Anonymous said...

37paddington:
Thanks for the recommendations! I’ve set an intention to read more this year, my attention has been so fractured lately and I need to do better. The books I love best, honestly, are the ones that gut me and teach me something too. These all look promising (though I didn’t love the movie Power of the Dog; I was definitely in the minority there). The Rob Delaney book in particular has been calling to me so I’ll read that first. Sad story that. But powerfully told I heard.

Munk said...

Hi there.

DB Stewart said...

Hi Munk!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...