Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Things one should never outgrow:

remembrance.

These are my great-grandfather's First World War medallions. After the war he brought a Scottish war bride to Canada, raised three children and lived until his 90s.

I have one childhood memory of him. Due to his quick speech and strong accent I struggled to understand him but I can still hear him bickering with his Maggie, my Great-Grandmother. I can see his lively dark eyes on me as he brought the kettle to his kitchen table, his open toolbox on the chair. He and my Dad talked tools over tea. My Dad smiling.

Using the information engraved on these medals, I now know the details of his particular military service. No wonder all the tool talk.

Unlike my great-grandfather, the stories of many men, just like him, ended on fields in France and elsewhere. What a great waste of men and women war is and yet another great waste of humanity without their sacrifices.

"Peace is the virtue of civilization, war is its crime." ~Victor Hugo

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

How wonderful that you have your g-g's service medals! And what fascinating info! I've never heard of the Canadian Forestry Corps before but I can certainly understand why their quick and steady provision of wood would have been crucial for the war effort.

Al Penwasser said...

I do so hope we outgrow war. But, given the scope of human history, I would put the chances of that as remote.
In that case, thank goodness for people like your great-grandfather.

Anonymous said...

Love this post:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...