Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Face Like That


Do you ever get the feeling kids look at us adults like we’re nuts? Lately, I do.

I’m not sure who said this recently but it stuck with me: “little kids must wonder why we don’t have more toys.” Think about that. For a little kid it must seem like we have all the power, all the money, all the freedom to do whatever we want and yet, unless we adults have more money than Oprah, we don’t go buck wild.

Instead, we save. And of course we do. I believe in saving because it makes me feel secure and prepared. I guess that’s why I very rarely buy things I don’t need. This isn’t bragging. I’ve made my share of mistakes with poor differentiation between wants and needs. Anyone want to buy my film projector? Anyone? I didn’t think so. Anyway, spending money frivolously makes me anxious. Sadly, being an adult is so darn expensive.

But you know what I need? Not want, but NEED? I need an Argo. That’s right. I need an amphibious all-terrain vehicle. I also need all-season, all-terrain tracks for my spanky new Argo. This means I can drive it in sand, mud, snow, dirt and especially for this: like a maniac, I want to casually drive that sucker down a hill right into a giant swamp while my passengers gasp. And then float, float, float to the other side and do it all over again.

Why do I need this? Why not? It just sounds like pure fun. Think about it. Think about what your face looks like when it’s having pure fun. When was the last time your face looked like that? My face looked like that about two months ago when I went fishing every morning and every evening for about four days. No kid ever goes two months without a face like that. Kids understand the importance of pure fun. That reminds me. I need a boat too.

6 comments:

Alittlesprite said...

looked at argo. reminded me of the banana splits...searched banana splits on youtube. Then found video of Maru climbing a shelf...

That is the randomness of my thought process today.

Vinny C said...

Adulthood's got its claws so deep in me I can't even remember what would be pure, unadulterated fun for me most of the time.

A few weeks ago. I saw a picture of a sign that read: Don't grow up. It's a trap! The first response which came to mind was, "Now you tell me!"

Pickleope said...

You probably shouldn't explain to a child that once you grow up, you get rid of toys in the interest of playing with other consenting adults in the nude, right? The Argo looks fuuuuuuuun.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Start saving your pennies!

wendy said...

Good reminder. Hmmmm.I'm trying to think of WHEN my face lit up in Pure wonder and joy.
(maybe when I see 10 lbs off my scales???)

seriously, we need more JOY as grownups. Silly joy.

Sultan said...

Sailboat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...