My first thought: Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. I don’t know.My second thought: This is hard. I’m pathetic.
Third thought: I’m unmotivated.
Fourth thought: Think! Shouldn’t I know what motivates me? Shouldn’t we all?
Then I realized it was much easier to determine what did not motivate me such as material things, competition, power, getting credit or (unlike most of the human race I think), coffee. Eventually though, after some quick-fire pondering, I determined that I am motivated in a variety of ways by the following things, in no particular order:
- Fear of embarrassment.
- Chocolate chips.
- Something within me I cannot explain, something curious, something at the core, something compelling, something I should listen to more carefully.
- A need to express myself, especially through writing.
- Creativity and the Arts.
- Friendship, companionship and love.
- Change: new places, new faces, new embraces.
- People who are inspiring, people who snort when they laugh, people who can laugh at themselves, people with vision.
- A desire to provide something better for others.
- Unexpected and undeserved kindness.
- Being cheap.
- The bills at the end of the month.
- Selfishness, stupidity and anger.
- Knowledge and learning.