Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

What motivates you?

     Being someone who loves to blather on, hoping I have a point of view about various things, sometimes it's the simplest question that can stump and silence me: "What motivates you?"
     My first thought: Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. I don’t know.
     My second thought: This is hard. I’m pathetic.
     Third thought: I’m unmotivated.
     Fourth thought: Think! Shouldn’t I know what motivates me? Shouldn’t we all?
     Then I realized it was much easier to determine what did not motivate me such as material things, competition, power, getting credit or (unlike most of the human race I think), coffee. Eventually though, after some quick-fire pondering, I determined that I am motivated in a variety of ways by the following things, in no particular order:
  1. Fear of embarrassment.
  2. Comfort.
  3. Chocolate chips.
  4. Humour.
  5. Beauty.
  6. Something within me I cannot explain, something curious, something at the core, something compelling, something I should listen to more carefully.
  7. A need to express myself, especially through writing.
  8. Creativity and the Arts.
  9. Friendship, companionship and love.
  10. Change: new places, new faces, new embraces.
  11. Gratitude.
  12. People who are inspiring, people who snort when they laugh, people who can laugh at themselves, people with vision.
  13. A desire to provide something better for others.
  14. Unexpected and undeserved kindness.
  15. Being cheap.
  16. The bills at the end of the month.
  17. Selfishness, stupidity and anger.
  18. Knowledge and learning.
  19. Possibilities.
  20. Cake.
     I recommend a list of motivations. An honest list, both positive and negative. Why? Consider Zig Ziglar's advice regarding achieving success in life: “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.”

11 comments:

Missy said...

#6! Right now food is a big motivator! Great post!

Sultan said...

I like your use of inductive reasoning.

I think Maslov's Hierarchy of needs is a good place to start when you are thinking about these kinds of things. He outlined them as

1) Self-actualization
2) Esteem
3) Love and belonging
4) Safety needs
5) Physiological needs

Keet said...

I'm with LoC, but I think there should always be Cake!
Me and Ms. Antoinette share your motivational need. :)
Great suggestion Stew! It's like gratitude, sometimes we need to be reminded.

Chelle said...

I don't have time be motivated.

Ok, I just thought that sounded good. I totally run on accolades.

DB Stewart said...

@ Missy Thanks!
@ LoC Thanks. I remember learning Maslow/Maslov's hierarchy in University. It looks as though I'm constantly climbing-backsliding-climbing that pyramid.
@ Keet Two words: pumpkin cake. And I am now motivated by your undeserved kindness.
@ Chelle I understand. When you're a busy Mom like you are, it just has to get done. So for that, and lots of other things, you deserve accolades.

Fickle Cattle said...

That final quote is win. And I got stumped by the question too. Here's my first two answers: fear and love. I'm sure there's more. Revenge! That too.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

ShrinkingChrys said...

Wonderful blog! I love reading it. I am going to copy your idea for my blogpost today. As I was reading your blogposts some of them seemed familiar and I couldn't figure out why until I picked up our local paper. Your columns are hilarious and always make me laugh! It's nice to have someone "close to home" following my blog and I wanted to thank you for that. It really keeps me motivated. I'll keep my eye out for your next column :)

prairiegirl said...

Well, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what motivates me without a bit of thought put into it. And given my state of mind tonight, it's probably not a good idea to think any more than I already have! lol

Thanks for sharing :)

DB Stewart said...

@Fickle Cattle Thanks a lot new reader. Be careful with revenge plots bud.
@ShrinkingChrys I enjoy reading your "close to home" blog too and thank you for reading my column; I'm totally stoked when I can make someone laugh.
@prairiegirl No. I thank you for sharing.

Allie said...

I like knowing there is someone out there with the same motivations as me. So, this blogpost is much appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really happy to find this. great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...